Tuesday, September 16, 2014

A Week With Chickungunya

Chickungunya is not fun.  It involves a high fever, bad joint pain, a really bad headache, and a rash over the whole body (including the palms of my hand and the bottom of my feet).  It lasted for six days.  My fever finally left Saturday and it made me really tired.  I pretty much slept all day for a week.  It was annoying not to go out and work.  Now I know how Sister Hodge felt.  I am glad it is over.  My shoulders are still a little sore and my fingers are stiff.  Like an old lady :)


On the bright side we still had a pretty good week.  I had a giant mango (to make me feel better), cow heel soup, and cocoa tea.  Maria made the cocoa tea for us.  She is a less active member who we love a lot.  Cocoa tea is the most delicious thick hot chocolate with dumplings and a lot of good spices in it.  I am excited to try to make it.
Cocoa Tea


We had a great zone conference in Barbados yesterday.  On Sunday we spent the night at the Gublers.  It was fun.  Sister Gubler made delicious spaghetti and salad.  We left bright and early Monday morning and had an amazing meeting.  Elder Zivic cam and presented there.  He talked a lot about obedience and our purpose as missionaries.  There was 1/4 of the mission there.  Over fifty missionaries.  We spent Monday night with the Silver Sands/Oistins sisters.  It was fun.  I slept on the couch and Sister Hodge slept on the futon.  No air conditioning out there so it was very hot but it was still fun.  We got home this afternoon.  We had to take an hour and a half bus ride from Castries because we didn't have the car.  Lucky us we get to drive all the way back out there tomorrow for zone meeting.

Miracle of the week:  We have been working with a man named Kenneth since we got here.  He is a nice man in his fifties.  He really wants to follow Christ and has family problems.  He is like a nice grandpa.  Kenneth was in a bad accident over ten years ago and hurt his leg.  It got infected again so he couldn't leave the house much...until Sunday.  He came to church and had a great experience.  His leg has finally healed and he is excited to prepare for baptism.

Thanks for everything.  Love you all.  Things are going great in St. Lucia!

Love,

Sister Shirts

The Pitons are two mountainous volcanic plugs, volcanic spheres in St. Lucia.





These weird cows are everywhere.  They look like dinosaur cows.

No comments:

Post a Comment